Steps to Register

If you plan on having employees, register with the IRS to obtain an Employee Identification Number (EIN) - think of it as a social security number for your business that is used to pay business and payroll taxes, or applying for a bank account. Your EIN is a unique identifier. It does not expire, and once assigned, is never issued again.

If you are a sole proprietor and do not have any employees, you may use your personal Social Security Number in place of an EIN. However, you may still consider obtaining an EIN - it's a fast and easy way to protect your Social Security Number.

Obtain Your EIN from the IRS

After you’ve completed this step you’ll have: 

EIN Number


If you choose to structure your business as a Limited Partnership, Corporation, or Limited Liability Company, you will need to form your business entity with the New Jersey Treasury Department's Division of Revenue. Before completing this step you will need 

  1. Your Business Name and Business Type. Consult our guidance on How to Choose a Business Structure and Name here. 
  2. Registered Agent Information including the Email Address to receive Registered Agent notifications. 
  3. Good Standing Certificate from your home state (only for foreign entities)
  4. Credit Card or eCheck
Form Your Business

After you’ve completed this step you will have: 

Legal Business Name 

*Entity ID* 

Certificate of Standing 

Certified Copy


All businesses operating in New Jersey must file form NJ-REG either by applying online, or filing by paper. Doing so ensures that your business is registered under the correct tax identification number and that you will receive the proper returns and notices. 

If you have or plan on having employees, the application will include registering your business for employer purposes. Registering as an employer will make you subject to state payroll taxes, including the Unemployment Insurance Tax, State Disability Insurance, and other withholdings. 

If you plan on collecting Sales Tax, within the registration process, will need to obtain an authorization to Collect Sales Tax. A business purchasing items for resale should also obtain a ST-3 Resale Certificate that allows them to purchase items that they will be reselling tax free. 

Once you complete the registration you will receive a Business Registration Certificate (BRC). You will need your BRC number when completing your taxes.

Register Your Business

After you’ve completed this step you will have: 

Business Registration Certificate (BRC)


If you are a Corporation, LLC or other legal entity and you would like to conduct business using a different name, you will need to file an Alternate Name. In other states, this is often referred to as DBA (Doing Business As). Alternate names can be registered at the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services. 

Sole Proprietorships and General Partnerships can also record a fictitious name, called a “trade name.” You will register your trade name at the County Clerk's Office in every County where you plan on conducting business.

A business owner should conduct due diligence to determine if any other business is conducting business using their proposed alternate name and that the alternate name is not violating another’s trademark. The alternate name filing is valid for 5 years and must be renewed to continue to be authorized for use.

File an Alternate Name

After you’ve completed this step you will have:

Trade Name or Alternative Name