Develop a Fictitious Name or DBA (Doing Business As)

If you are a Corporation, LLC or other legal entity and you would like to conduct business using a different name, you will need to file an Alternate Name. In other states, this is often referred to as DBA (Doing Business As). Alternate names can be registered at the Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services. 

Sole Proprietorships and General Partnerships can also record a fictitious name, called a “trade name.” You will register your trade name at the County Clerk's Office in every County where you plan on conducting business.

A business owner should conduct due diligence to determine if any other business is conducting business using their proposed alternate name and that the alternate name is not violating another’s trademark. The alternate name filing is valid for 5 years and must be renewed to continue to be authorized for use.

File an Alternate Name

After you’ve completed this step you will have:

Trade Name or Alternative Name