A minority and/or woman owned business or enterprise (M/WBE) can get certified with the State of New Jersey. While New Jersey state government does not give special consideration to vendors that hold M/WBE certifications, some local government contracts do give special consideration.
Recent Regulations and Resources
VOB and DVOB Certifications
VOB or veteran-owned business is a business that has its principal place of business in the State, is independently owned and operated and at least 51% of the business is owned and controlled by persons who are veterans. DVOB is a disabled veteran-owned business. These certifications require different applications and offer different opportunities.
Businesses can become a SBE or Small Business Enterprise through New Jersey's Set-Aside Program. Registered businesses become members of a limited group of vendors eligible to participate in selected contract offerings. The State aims to awarding 25% of its contracts and purchase order dollars to organizations registered as a small business.
ESBE and DBE Certifications
The ESBE program is a race- and gender-neutral program designed to provide select contracting opportunities to small, economically disadvantaged businesses. The program runs concurrently with the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program on federally funded projects.
NJSAVI (New Jersey Selective Assistance Vendor Information) is a database that allows a state agency or a prime contractor to the state to identify all certificate holding businesses. NJSAVI lists vendors by business name, ID number or address. It provides the name of the contact person, address and telephone number(s), gross sales categories, commodities and/or construction trade code(s). It also identifies vendors as small, minority- and/or women-owned businesses.
For additional information on these programs or services, call the Division of Revenue & Enterprise Services, Small Business Registration and M/WBE Certification Services Unit at 609.292.2146.
Relevant forms are available from the Department of Treasury:
- MBE/WBE Regulations N.J.A.C. 17:46
- FMERA Request for Offers to Purchase - Howard Commons
- Veteran Owned Business (VOB) Registration Application
- Veteran Owned Business (VOB) Annual Verification Form
- Disabled Veteran Owned Business (DVOB) Registration Application
- Disabled Veteran Owned Business (DVOB) Annual Verification
- Registration and Certification: FAQs
- Commodity Code Lookup
- Construction Craft Code Lookup
- New Small Business Enterprise Online Registry Service
- MBE/WBE Certification Application
- Fast Track - Other (Port Authority, Out of State, Etc.) Certification Application