M/WBE is a minority and/or woman owned business or enterprise. You register to become an M/WBE with the State of New Jersey. While New Jersey state government does not give special consideration to vendors that hold M/WBE certifications, some municipal contracts do give special consideration.
Recent Regulations and Resources
A woman or a minority owned business can apply.
A Minority means a person who is: 1) Asian American, a person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, Indian Subcontinent, Hawaii, or the Pacific Islands; 2) American Indian or Alaskan native, a person having origins in any of the original peoples of North America. 3) Black, a person having origins in any of the black racial groups in Africa; or 4) Hispanic, a person of Spanish or Portuguese culture, with origins in Mexico, South or Central America, or the Caribbean Islands.
A "Woman" or "women" means an individual, regardless of race, who self-identifies her gender as a woman, without regard to the individual's designated sex at birth.
Qualifying Businesses and Enterprises
1. A sole proprietorship, owned and controlled by a minority or woman;
2. A partnership or joint venture, owned and controlled by minorities and/or women in which at least 51% of the ownership interest is held by minorities and/or women and the management and daily business operations of which are controlled by one or more of the minorities and/or women who own it; or
3. A corporation or other entity, whose management and daily business operations are controlled by one or more minorities and/or women who own it, and which is at least 51% owned by one or more minorities and/or women, or, if stock is issued, at least 51% of the stock is owned by one or more minorities and/or women.
To register as a Small Business Enterprise (SBE) under the Small Business Set-Aside Act or to be certified as a Minority and/or Women Business Enterprise (M/WBE), you must complete the following forms (as pertinent):
- New SBE Online Registry Service
- Minority and/or Women Business Enterprise Certification
- MSDC or Other Fast Track Certification
For additional information on these programs or services call the Division of Revenue, Small Business Registration and M/WBE Certification Services unit at (609) 292-2146.
Relevant forms are available from the Department of Treasury:
- MBE/WBE Regulations N.J.A.C. 17:46
- FMERA Request for Offers to Purchase - Howard Commons
- Veteran Owned Business (VOB) Registration Application
- Veteran Owned Business (VOB) Annual Verification Form
- Disabled Veteran Owned Business (DVOB) Registration Application
- Disabled Veteran Owned Business (DVOB) Annual Verification
- Registration and Certification: FAQs
- Commodity Code Lookup
- Construction Craft Code Lookup
- New Small Business Enterprise Online Registry Service
- MBE/WBE Certification Application
- Fast Track - Other (Port Authority, Out of State, Etc.) Certification Application
NJSAVI (New Jersey Selective Assistance Vendor Information) is a database that allows a state agency or a prime contractor to the state to identify all certificate holding businesses. NJSAVI lists vendors by business name, ID number or address. It provides the name of the contact person, address and telephone number(s), gross sales categories, commodities and/or construction trade code(s). It also identifies vendors as small, minority- and/or women-owned businesses.